Sunday, June 25, 2006

Great article on futbol in Korea...

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=plate22&date=20060622

My dad sent me this article a couple of days ago that I wish I could have written about the World Cup experience in Korea. His description of the Cup in 2002 aptly described the experience this time around:

"For one week, South Korea came to a virtual halt. The rising gross domestic product went on hold; the growing Korean economic efficiency took a dive. Had North Korea unexpectedly chosen to invade the South then, few South Koreans might have noticed."

Korea may be out of the running now, but the spirit of futbol is still running strong - there were plenty of red shirts around on the subway yesterday.

Incidentally, my dad is in Uruguay for the next couple of weeks and blogging away - keep up on his travels here: http://c4w2uruguay.eponym.com/blog

--seantoki

4 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, Blogger Axolotl said...

The Game not Futbol: Many decades ago I ended up in Korea, inadvertently and temporarily,but what I remember fondly was the commotion that occured when I innocently asked a group of men how to play GO. Easier on the shins. Translator optional. Have you tried it ? Coppertone.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger seantoki said...

Coppertone - was I dreaming it or did I see Go (Baduk) being played the other night...I don't know, but, no I haven't tried it yet. All my life I've heard about it, but never played. I'll ask around - there's a league/group for everything here so I wouldn't be surprised if I found myself playing it tomorrow night :)

 
At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work »

 
At 11:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! online training Person who won mega millions in nj nba basketball lasik eye surgery bmw x5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home